There is so much to look forward to during the holiday season. The kids love the anticipation of opening gifts, while my husband and I are all but drooling thinking of breakfast. This Pandoro BOX may very well be one of my favorite things to open at Christmas!
Pandoro, is a traditional spongecake originating in northern Italy and is nothing short of perfection (as most things from the region are). The "cake" is shaped in the form of the snowy Italian Alps making it a gorgeous presentation for any Christmas celebration. It's a unique cake with a slight sweetness and warm vanilla aroma that's not like anything made here in the U.S. If you haven't tried it, you really must! It's a special treat that comes around only once a year. Have it toasted with powdered sugar or do what we do and make french toast with it! You can cut it into any shape or size you like, but I serve it in long thick wedges because it makes such a powerful, delicious looking presentation. What really makes the french toast special is that I dip it into an egg/milk batter that I flavor with nutmeg, cinnamon and orange zest! Oh the smell! It is sure to make your holidays merry and bright!
Christmas Morning Pandoro French Toast
- 4 wedges from Pandoro cake sliced to your preference
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 1% milk or any type of milk you prefer
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- butter for pan
- Heat a nonstick buttered pancake griddle on medium heat.
- In a pie dish, beat the egg into the milk and mix together with the cinnamon, nutmeg and zest.
- Dip each slice of cake into the batter and transfer to the griddle.
- Cook for about 1-2 minute on each side until golden.
- Serve with powdered sugar, fruit and syrup.