Looking for an easy veggie burger to whip up this summer? I thought so. That's why I'm so excited to share these Sweet Potato Black Bean Sliders with you. They're super easy to make and so much fun to eat! I mean, who doesn't love a good slider, right? Especially when it's made with fresh, healthy, all natural plant-based ingredients. These veggie sliders are coated with panko breadcrumbs that become crispy outside when pan fried. Slather them in between a toasted bun and top them with chipotle aioli, tangy pickles and some crunchy summer slaw! Delicious!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Slider Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make these delicious, veggie sliders:
- Sweet Potatoes- Jewel yams work best for this recipe because they are slightly drier and work well for forming patties. As far as veggie burgers go, these hold together really nicely without the use of eggs or other binders like rice and breadcrumbs to hold them together.
- Black Beans- I used canned black beans. Just give them a quick rinse and they're ready to go.
- Scallions- They add a nice sweet oniony flavor and they add a pop of green color to these sliders.
- Cumin and Chili Powder- These earthy, warm flavors are essential to give these sliders flavor and depth.
- Panko Breadcrumbs- I coat and lightly pan fry these sliders with some crunchy panko breadcrumbs to give a little contrast in texture to the smoothness of the sweet potato and black beans. It's not essential to add panko, so if you'd like to keep these sliders gluten-free, just omit this part.
Super Quick and Easy To Make
I have a few tricks that make these sliders quick and easy enough to put together, even for a weeknight meal!
- Microwave the sweet potatoes. No need to turn on the oven and wait for them to roast. Simply place the sweet potatoes on a microwaveable dish and microwave for about 5 minutes for a creamy, soft, perfectly cooked potato.
- No food processor required. These sliders can be put together by hand. That means no messy clean ups! Hooray! Use the back of a spoon or fork to mash all the ingredients together (#easy).
- Use canned black beans. They're the perfect consistency and just as good in these sliders.
- No grill necessary. These sliders are made in a non-stick frying pan and done in about 10 minutes.
Favorite Ways to Enjoy Sweet Potato Black Bean Sliders
Here are some of my favorite toppings and suggestions for enjoying these sliders at your next meal or BBQ.
- These sliders taste amazing on toasted soft Hawaiian slider buns or rolls. I toast them right in the pan after cooking the sliders. I recommend these rolls from Whole Foods.
- Thinly sliced cabbage or slaw adds texture and crunch.
- Chipotle aioli is creamy, slightly spicy and may be THE perfect condiment for these sliders! I recommend Stonewall Kitchen's brand.
- Butter or bibb lettuce is great for layering and adds a beautiful green pop of color on these sliders.
- And what burger would ever be complete without some salty, tangy pickles to go along with it!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Sliders
- 2 sweet potatoes medium size
- 1 15 oz canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 chopped scallions light green and white parts only
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chili powder
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Hawaiian dinner rolls (slider buns)
- olive oil cooking spray
- sliced pickles for topping
- shredded cabbage or slaw for topping
- favorite aioli recommend chipotle aioli *see above
- Prick the sweet potato a few times on all sides with a knife or fork to allow for steam to escape while cooking. Place sweet potatoes on a microwave safe plate.
- Microwave sweet potatoes for about 5-6 minutes until completely soft and cooked through inside. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- Scoop out potato flesh into a large mixing bowl. Discard skins.
- To the same bowl, add beans and remaining ingredients.
- Begin to mash together ingredients until mostly incorporated, allowing some the beans to remain whole.
- Line a plate or tray with parchment paper.
- Using an ice cream scooper form the patties by shaping them with palms of your hands. Place the patties onto the plate.
- Spray a large non-stick fry pan with cooking spray and heat on medium flame.
- Pour the breadcrumbs onto a small plate. Dip both sides of slider patties into breadcrumbs.
- Cook patties for about 3-5 minutes per side until completely heated through and golden brown.
- Recommend toasting slider buns in fry pan before serving.
- Serve sliders with suggested toppings.