Do you love the creamy richness of an egg salad sandwich, but wish it could be healthier and lighter? Well, look no further than this vegan egg salad with pickled relish. Made with tofu, sweet tangy relish and a few other special ingredients that make this plant-based egg salad so much better than the real thing. One taste and you'll be craving it every day until you get your fix.
Why It's A Healthier Option
It's a long standing debate whether or not eggs are healthy. As a nutrition professional, I can tell you that it is so difficult to definitively conclude if a particular food is responsible for causing disease. There are so many factors that influence outcomes, such as overall diet and lifestyle. What we do know is eggs contain a considerable amount of cholesterol and a particular chemical known to contribute to atherosclerosis. According to this recent study, substituting plant-based proteins (like tofu), for egg protein was associated with an overall reduced mortality of about 25%. Tofu contains a myriad of health benefits, is low in fat, contains zero cholesterol, is high in protein and contains fiber and other essential nutrients that promote good health (see my recent article on the benefits of tofu here). So, for me it's a no brainer that eating more plant-based protein is the way to go!
How To Make Vegan Egg Salad
For those of you who turn your nose up at tofu, please hear me out. Tofu's texture is very similar to that of a hard boiled egg. And since tofu takes on the flavors of just about anything you season it with, you've got the perfect situation for an egg salad makeover.
Making vegan egg salad is similar to the classic version, only it's easier. There's no cooking involved. All you have to do is prep the tofu by pressing and draining out the water. The tofu is then sliced into cubes and crumbled slightly to resemble the texture and consistency of a hard boiled egg. The fun part is adding all the delicious seasonings that mimic the flavors and naturally give the color and appearance of traditional egg salad. Here's what I used:
- Dijon Mustard- partly responsible for giving this egg salad it's familiar yellow hue but more importantly adds a tangy, sharp and even creamy flavor to the salad.
- Red onions and celery- provides a fresh, slightly sweet and pleasant crunch.
- Sweet Pickle Relish- easy and convenient store bought relish contains pickled cucumbers, celery and mustard seeds, cider vinegar, chopped red peppers and is the star ingredient of this egg salad.
- Tumeric and paprika- add just the right touch of earthy spice and helps give the salad it's egg yolk color.
How To Serve
Serve it up just as you would the classic version. Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy vegan egg salad with pickled relish:
- I love to wrap the salad in fresh lettuce leaves for a light and healthy lunch.
- My favorite way to eat this egg salad is between two slices of fresh multi-grain bread.
- I've also been known to scoop it up with some of my favorite crackers as a snack.
- With warmer weather arriving, it's a great choice for picnics and to take to the beach!
Anyway you choose, I promise it's going to be your new favorite!
Vegan Egg Salad with Pickled Relish
- 14 oz extra firm tofu drained then cut into 1 inch cubes
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk sliced thin
- 3 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 3 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground tumeric
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Add tofu to medium sized bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and gently combine, breaking up some of the tofu into small crumbles.
- Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Store left over vegan egg salad in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.