'Tis the time of year when we seek out comforting recipes that make us feel good. This Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Pasta is so flavorful and perfect for those cold nights when you just want to snuggle up with a delicious warm meal. It's an easy pasta recipe that is ready in under 30 minutes. Perfect for weeknight dinners or anytime you're craving a comforting meal.
Ingredients For Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Pasta
- Whole Wheat Pasta- I use Sfoglini whole wheat pasta because it not only tastes fabulous but the shape and texture of their pasta holds onto the creamy sauce so well.
- Mushrooms- Use whatever variety you like. I recommend using white button and a blend of petite beech, shitake, oyster or trumpet.
- Shallots- They have a mild garlicky sweet flavor without being overpowering.
- Chicken- To make this dish easy and quick, I use store-bought rotisserie chicken so it's cooked and ready to go.
- Low Sodium Vegetable or Chicken Broth- Both taste delicious in this recipe. Use whichever you prefer or have in your pantry. I always use low sodium so I can control the amount of saltiness in the dish.
- Mascarpone Cheese- This is what gives the dish it's creaminess. A little goes a long way. If you can't find mascarpone, you can also use heavy cream.
- Pecorino Romano- Made with sheep's milk, Pecorino has a punch that cuts into the cream and really stands out.
- Chives- For a mild oniony flavor that it really key to this dish.
- EVOO- As always, I recommend using a good quality extra-virgin olive oil for best flavor.
How To Make Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Pasta
- While the water is coming to a boil, sauté the shallots.
- Cook down the mushrooms until soft but not mushy.
- Add broth and mascarpone.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce.
- Toss in the shredded chicken and top with chives and grated cheese. That's it!
Things To Love About This Pasta Recipe
Satisfying and Comforting- This recipe has all the components that make up a satisfying meal...healthy carbs, protein and tons of flavor!
Cooks Quickly- The mushrooms cook quickly and since we add store-bought rotisserie chicken that's already cooked, the most time consuming part is waiting for the pasta to be done.
If you're really in a rush during the week you can cook pasta in advance and store in the refrigerator.
Versatile- Obviously this recipe can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta. But it there are many other types of substitutions you can make (See below).
Can I Substitute Mushrooms with Something Else?
Yes! I'd suggest peas, spinach, asparagus or broccoli.
Can I Make This Recipe Vegetarian or Vegan?
Absolutely! Keep it vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using chickpeas, lentils or white beans instead. Use a vegetable based broth.
Make it vegan by using a creamy vegan cheese spread and beans in place of the mascarpone and chicken. Use a vegetable based broth.
What If I Don't Have Broth? Can I Use White Wine?
You can use a good quality white wine (one you'd drink) in place of broth in this recipe.
A Quick Note
You might have noticed that this is the first recipe I'm posting that's not entirely plant-based. I'd like for this blog to be a recipe resource for all types of dietary preferences, some which may include meat eaters as well. My recipes will still mostly focus on plant-based ingredients as the main component. I hope you continue to enjoy and share my recipes will your friends and family!
More Healthy Pasta Recipes Like This
Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Pasta
- 12 oz whole wheat pasta
- 1 large shallot or 2 small peeled and chopped fine
- 2 cups white button mushrooms cleaned, stems removed and sliced
- 2 cups mixed variety mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- ¾ cup broth low sodium chicken or vegetable
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup Pecorino Romano cheese grated
- ¼ cup chives chopped
- coarse salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan heat olive oil on med high heat. Add the shallots and cook until softened about 3-4 min.
- Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and cook until golden and soft, about 5 min.
- Add the broth and cream and stir to combine. Add a pinch more salt and some pepper. Turn off the heat.
- Drain pasta and add to the pan with mushrooms. Stir in the chicken, chives and cheese. Season to taste and serve.