Hey guys! I'm so excited about this post I want to get right to it. But first things first. There is nothing that gets an Italian's spaghetti more twisted than by saying the word "bruschetta" incorrectly. If you ever watched Lidia (Bastianich) on PBS you know what I mean! But, I won't judge. Wait, yes I will. I definitely will.
So what is the correct way to say it? I'm sooooooo glad you asked. It's pronounced " bru-SKETA". NOT bru-SHEDA!! That's because in Italian "ch" is pronounced like our "k". Make the "k" sound people!! Ahhh. Thank you. I feel better now! Now that we've cleared that up, onto the good stuff.
There are so many things to love about this recipe. It's colorful and makes a gorgeous presentation (perfect for spring gatherings). It can be served as an appetizer, it can be your lunch or it can be your dinner. It's simple to make and versatile (using different types of breads and seasonings). It can be vegan or vegetarian (by using vegan or regular ricotta cheese). But most of all, it is so incredibly simple to put together!
I used a seven grain bread for this recipe and sliced it on the thicker side. I made it vegan by using this vegan ricotta (made with almond milk). It was the first time I actually tried it and I was incredibly shocked at how good it was. I truly did not miss the dairy version at all.
I seasoned the carrots with garlic powder and cumin then roasted them which gave them a rich, caramelized flavor. Using rainbow colored carrots makes the presentation all the more beautiful when serving them on a platter! So tasty too!!
Happy Spring everyone!
Garlicky Roasted Carrot Bruschetta
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots peeled and cut in half lengthwise, then in half
- 1 loaf of your favorite crusty bread sliced about 1 to 1 ½ inch thick slices
- vegan or regular ricotta cheese 6-8oz
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp pink salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more for bread
- parsley * optional
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix together dry seasonings in a small bowl.
- Place about 6 slices of bread on baking sheet and brush the tops lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for about 10 min until golden brown and set aside on a platter.
- Once bread is done use that baking sheet to roast the carrots (or you can do it all at the same time, just use another baking sheet).
- Place carrots on baking sheet and toss with half of the dry seasonings and olive oil.
- Roast until golden and slightly browned about 15 min.
- Slather ricotta on bread and top with carrots.
- Sprinkle remaining seasonings over top.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh parsley for garnish.