10 years ago, before I ate predominately plant-based, I couldn't care less about a chickpea. To me they were boring and tasteless. But over the years, as my husband and I have taken most animal protein out of our diets, chickpeas have crept their way into our dietary spotlight.
Chickpeas are a good source of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Because of their nutrient content and meaty texture they make an excellent meat-free alternative to many dishes. Besides using them in hummus, I have experimented with them many other ways, including in sandwiches, soups and all kinds of salads. I've even topped homemade pizza and flatbread with them.
But one of my all time favorite ways to eat them is warm and crispy, right out of the oven! There are so many ways you can season your chickpeas. But this week, I'm sharing with you my favorite way to spice them up!
It's simple. For the seasoning all you need is: olive oil, chili powder blend* and garlic salt.
*(My chili powder blend is a mix of chili powder, cumin, oregano and allspice. If you can't find that particular blend, you can just mix your own).
Pop them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes and watch the magic happen. A boring old chickpea is transformed and reborn into a crispy, tasty little treat that happens to pack a serious nutritional punch as well!
Here's a little tip though: once you've committed to making them, they don't stay crispy for long (maybe a day at most), so eat them up asap! If you do have any extra, leave them on the counter uncovered or they'll get soggy.
Crispy Roasted Spiced Chickpeas
- 1 15 oz. box or can of chickpeas garbanzo beans
- ½ teaspoon chili powder blend*+ more or less depending on spice heat tolerance
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt + more or less if needed to taste
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Pat dry between paper towels until completely dry.
- Discard any skins that might have fallen off.
- In a small bowl combine dry seasonings.
- Place chickpeas on baking sheet.
- Lightly drizzle chickpeas with olive oil and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle chickpeas with seasonings and toss to combine.
- Bake for 20 min (stopping to shake the pan every now and then) until crispy.
- Sprinkle with extra garlic salt or seasonings to taste while still hot.