The weather has been near perfect. But I'm way behind in my home gardening duties. I've usually planted all my flowers around the yard by now, but not this year.
Well, I guess I shouldn't feel so bad. At least the garden at my daughter's elementary school looks amazing. It's where I've been spending a lot of my free time lately. The newly updated school garden is in the process of being finished... finally, after 2 years! The vision is that the children will be able to use the garden beds to integrate the core curriculum, learn about nutrition and even learn to cook. Jamie Oliver, I think you would be proud!
I was lucky enough to stumble upon an amazing resource here in Monmouth County, the Rutger's Master Garden Program. If you live in Monmouth County, you should absolutely check this out! They are volunteers who become certified Master Gardeners and then go out into the community to support any Monmouth County resident or school with gardening issues...for free! Just incredible! They came to help guide us and even gave an educational lecture to our third graders while we planted. I'm truly grateful to have met some of these extraordinary volunteers.
In between trips back and forth to the garden, I came up with this quick and easy recipe for flatbread pizzas. I've made it quite often in the last week, and it's been both my lunch and our dinner a few times now. If you can't find pre-made flatbread crust at your grocery store, you can use soft pita, naan bread or toasted bread, as well.
The chickpeas and grape tomatoes are roasted with a blend of seasonings along with chunks of garlic. If you've never roasted chickpeas before you're in for a treat. They take on a vibrant roasted texture and flavor that is so satisfying, even as a snack. Then there's the AVOCADO! Ripe, creamy avocado is the base for this delicious pizza. Together it's the perfect blend of healthy fats, protein and plant power!
Roasted Chickpea and Tomato Flatbread Pizzas with Avocado
- Pre-made flatbreads recipe yields enough to make 4-6 slices
- 1 ripe avocado smashed
- 1 packed cup arugula
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes washed and pat dry
- 15 oz carton chickpeas garbanzo beans rinsed and pat dry)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- On a baking sheet pan, toss tomatoes, chickpeas and garlic with seasonings, salt, pepper, olive oil and roast for about 15 min until chickpeas are golden brown and tomatoes are begin to shrivel.
- On a separate sheet pan, toast the flatbreads until crisp and golden about 10-12 min.
- Spoon smashed avocado onto flatbreads.
- Top each flatbread with some of the tomato chickpea mixture.
- Sprinkle a few leaves of arugula over top.
- Serve immediately.