It's margarita season! Wait, isn't every season margarita season?! All kidding aside, I'm very picky about my margaritas and this Mango Margarita recipe did not disappoint. It's especially wonderful because of a homemade mango simple syrup that's made with ripe, juicy mangos which gives it a delicious tropical flare. Tart lime juice and just the right amount of my favorite tequila and orange liquor take this margarita to the next level. It's perfectly chilled on ice for a refreshing drink you'll go crazy for all summer long!
Mango Simple Syrup
Believe it or not, you can buy simple syrup in the grocery store despite how ridiculously easy it is to make. Simple syrup is just sugar that's dissolved in water (in a 1:1 ratio) in a saucepan. 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water. It's used to sweeten and balance many different types of cocktails such as Mojitos, Mint Juleps and Mai Tais'.
To make mango simple syrup all we do is add fresh mango to the sugar and water. However, I did change the ratio of sugar to water because my mangos were very sweet. I reduced the amount of sugar by half. However, if you have mangos that aren't very ripe or sweet, you might want to use the full cup of sugar to one cup of water ratio. For the best flavor, the syrup is then cooled and chilled in the refrigerator before adding to the margarita.
You can use leftovers from this batch of mango syrup to pour over fruit, ice cream, plain yogurt or to sweeten up and flavor ice tea or other types of cocktails and mocktails.
Mango Margarita Ingredients
You only need a few ingredients to make this delicious cocktail.
- mango simple syrup
- favorite tequila (recommend Casamigos, for it's smooth great tasting flavor)
- orange liquor (recommend Cointreau)
- fresh lime
- coarse salt for glass rim (optional but recommended)
Margarita Mixing Options
You can either make this drink in a shaker filled with ice and strain over fresh ice into a glass. Or, if you don't have a shaker you can add all the ingredients to a glass with ice and stir with a barspoon. Both ways turn out great.
This margarita is the perfect blend of sweet, salty and sour. The orange essence from the orange liquor and tropical notes from the mango makes it hard not to guzzle right down. I'd definitely recommend having some some tortilla chips and guacamole on hand or better yet serve up this margarita with your favorite tacos or fajitas. In my book, that's the perfect way to welcome in summer!
Make It A Mocktail
You can easily make this drink a refreshing mocktail.
Add the mango simple syrup and your favorite lime flavored seltzer or tonic water to a glass full of ice. Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice and/or even some fresh mint for added pizazz.
If you liked this drink you might also like my Cucumber and Melon Agua Fresca.
*Remember to please drink responsibly.*
Mango Simple Syrup
- 1 cup cubed mango skin removed
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 cup water
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Give a few stirs as the mixture begins to heat up. Allow the mango to begin to break down and sugar to dissolve about 8-10 minutres.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly then add to a blender to blend completely.
- Transfer syrup to a jar with lid and refrigerate until cool about 1-2 hours.
- 1 ½ oz mango simple syrup
- 2 oz favorite tequila recommend Casamigos
- ¾ oz orange liquor
- 1 ¼ oz fresh lime juice
- coarse salt
- fresh limes
- Rub the rim of a chilled glass with lime wedge and dip into salt.
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice and strain into a glass with fresh ice. Alternatively, add ingredients directly to ice filled glass and stir with a barspoon.
- Garnish with fresh lime.
Leave a Reply