There is something so special about homemade hummus. In my opinion, you can taste the difference. The freshness of the ingredients really stands out. That's why this roasted beet and garlic hummus is so delicious. Fresh spring beets are roasted in the oven with a small head of garlic. The aroma that will take over your kitchen is to die for. After the beets and garlic are roasted, all you have to do is add them to a food processor with a few other ingredients and blend. You certainly won't be able to resist the gorgeous magenta color of this hummus. It's basically spring in a bowl!
How To Roast The Beets and Garlic
You only need a half cup of beets for this recipe which is about the equivalent of 1-2 beets. But since you're turning on the oven, you might as well roast a bunch of them because you can use up the rest in salads, rice dishes, smoothies, or eat them as a side dish.
There are several methods you can use for roasting beets, but I like to use a Dutch oven. If you don't have an oven proof pot with a lid, you can simply wrap the beets in aluminum foil as you would a baked potato and place them on a baking sheet. Depending on the size of the beets, it can take anywhere from 45 min to an hour and change for the beets to soften and caramelize. With both methods I wrap the garlic so it doesn't burn.
I used cannellini beans for this hummus recipe because I just love creamy texture and flavor of the bean. It translates to a creamier hummus as well. It's mild flavor works perfectly, so that the roasted beets and garlic remain the star of the show. A bit of tahini, a splash of apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil are all you need to finish up this tasty dish. You can't get more healthy, fresh ingredients than that! I love to top my hummus with things like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, freshly drizzled olive oil or whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for.
How To Enjoy Roasted Beet & Garlic Hummus
Some of my favorite ways to enjoy this hummus:
- Slathered in sandwiches and wraps.
- As a dip.
- Served along with a cheese, nuts and crackers in a charcuterie board.
- As a side dish.
- Use to make deviled eggs.
- As a base for pizza or flatbreads.
- Mix into pasta or rice dishes.
If you like this recipe you might also enjoy Roasted Beets with Pistachios and Chives.
Don't forget to tag me using #'s below or if you've tried any of my recipes please don't forget to give them a "STAR" RATING! Thanks so much and enjoy!
Roasted Beet & Garlic Hummus
- Dutch oven (see above notes)
- 2 beets skin on but stems removed (see above notes for roasting)
- 1 small head garlic
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Pre heat oven to 400 F.
- Wrap garlic in aluminum foil.
- Place garlic and beets in a Dutch oven.
- After 30 min carefully remove garlic and set aside to cool.
- Continue to roast beets until fork tender (another 30-45 min or so).
- Allow beets to cool.
- Once beets are cool enough to handle peel off the skins.
- To the food processor add the beets, squeeze out the garlic from inside the skins and add in the remining ingredients.
- Pulse until all ingredients are blended together and smooth.
- If hummus seems to dry, add a bit more oil or a drop of water and continue to blend until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings as needed.