I know everyone is busy with their summer plans so I'm going to get right to the point of this week's post.
Who doesn't LOVE a ripe, sweet summer tomato? I'm certainly not wasting any time adding tons of tomatoes to all my favorite dishes.
One of my favorite combos is eggs with tomatoes (and NO, I'm not a fan of ketchup with my eggs...in fact, the thought of it makes me gag)! Just thought I'd throw that out there!
And what good is a tomato without basil anyway??
I don't usually have much luck when it comes to growing basil, but this year I must have done something right! My green basil is thriving but so is the purple basil I planted! It's the first time I've planted it in my garden and I'm truly smitten with it! The color is phenomenal! The taste is similar to regular basil, only with a bit more depth (which is probably why it's so popular in Asian cuisine).
A quick zap of some golden baby potatoes in the microwave cut down on the stove top cooking time of this recipe. While the potatoes are cooking you can prep the tomatoes and eggs. Once the potatoes are tender they are then crisped in the skillet and turn crunchy on the outside. Tomatoes are added in at the last few minutes to soften up a bit. Eggs are poured over top and served slightly runny and delicious! The skillet is garnished with that gorgeous purple basil! If you can find purple or you have it in your garden, please use it! If not, regular green basil will do fine. It's the perfect way to bring fresh summer produce to your plate.
Don't just think breakfast! Serve it any time of day! I think this will be one of your favorite go-to recipes when you don't know what to make after a long day playing or relaxing in the sun!
Scrambled Egg, Tomato and Potato Hash Skillet
- ½ pound baby yukon gold potatoes
- 5-6 small cocktail or cherry tomatoes
- 6 eggs whisked with a pinch of salt and pepper added to them
- handful purple basil
- coarse salt
- cooking spray
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and place in a medium sized microwaveable bowl.
- Fill bowl with with just enough water to cover potatoes.
- Microwave on high for about 8 minutes until almost tender.
- Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Lightly spray a nonstick skillet with cooking oil.
- Heat pan on medium flame.
- Place the potatoes evenly around the pan (leave them untouched so they brown up nicely) for about 5 minutes or until golden and slightly charred.
- Once browned on one side, flip them over and add in the tomatoes.
- Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the eggs into the pan and cook, lightly tossing egg mixture with a rubber spatula until eggs are cooked through but still slightly runny.
- Remove from stove immediately.
- Garnish with basil and serve.