This post is all about short and sweet. Let's face it, when you have kids home for the summer (i'm boooorrredd!!) and you're trying to get (maaahhhhhmmmmm!!!) something done (i'm huuuunnngrrryyyy!!!) you constantly get (can we go swiiiiimminnggg noooooww??) interrupted.
Whether you've spent the day at work, the beach or by the pool, in the summer, it helps to know a few quick but healthy recipes you can throw together at the end of a long, hot day. This should be one of them!
It's tempting to just pick up fast food and be done with it. That's okay now and then, but we all know that those types of meals cost us extra calories, contain tons of sodium and loads of unhealthy fat. Why order in, when you can have this healthy, bright and delicious vegetable fried rice on your table in 15 minutes!
They key is to prepare the rice in advance. Make it as your packing up for the beach or on the weekend. Let it cool down and then pop it in the fridge until you are ready. The rice is added into the pan with the vegetables at the end, so it doesn't break down. I also use frozen peas for this recipe, so make sure to have them already thawing in the refrigerator. Shredded carrots need only a minute to cook and you'll want them on the crisper side anyway. If you don't have a shredder try buying them pre-shredded or dice them up by hand into very small chunks so they cook quickly.
I happen to go crazy for the slight saltiness of soy sauce and sweet tang of the mango. I simply add some scrambled eggs into the rice for some extra protein. Best part is, it's a meal the entire family will enjoy and feel good about!
(maahhhhmmmmmm!!!) Gotta go. What quick summer meals do you love?
15 minute Vegetable Fried Rice with Mango
- 4 cups cooked rice cooled but not cold
- 2 shredded carrots about 1 cup
- 1 onion diced
- ¾ cup frozen peas thawed
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 15 oz. can baby corn rinsed and drained
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 ripe mango sliced or cubed
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seed oil
- 2 tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. agave syrup
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger minced
- Whisk together oil, soy sauce, vinegar, agave syrup and ginger in a small bowl.
- Heat a large wok or large non-stick sauté pan.
- Add one quarter of the dressing to the pan.
- Add in onion and sauté for about 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add in garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add in the peas, carrots and corn and sauté for about a minute. *
- Add in the rice and remaining dressing to combine well.
- Toss in the spinach and remove from heat.
- Transfer fried rice to a large serving bowl.
- In the same pan used to cook the fried rice, add the beaten eggs and cook for about 4 minutes until scrambled.
- Toss eggs into the fried rice.
- Top with mango and serve.
Leave a Reply