It's about this time of year when gardens are overflowing. If you are looking for ways to use some of those cucumbers you have laying around, then this week's Asian Cucumber Salad recipe is for you! Spiralized cucumbers are tossed together with a dressing inspired by Asian flavors that is both tangy and refreshing.
Asian Cucumber Salad Ingredients
This recipe is so simple I hesitate to even call it a recipe! But there are a few key ingredients that make this dish delicious.
- Cucumbers (Obviously). What makes this salad a little bit more interesting is the way the cucumber is sliced. I used a spiralizer to make swirly cucumber ribbons. The texture was really fun and different.
- Carrots. Add a crunchy, sweet and colorful element to the salad.
- Edamame. I keep frozen edamame in my freezer at all times, so I can defrost a handful whenever I want to add them to salads or rice dishes. Edamame are extremely nutritious, with 9 grams of fiber and 17 grams of plant protein per cup.
- Scallions. Chopped scallions add a dimension of subtle onion flavor.
- Sesame Seeds. I use sesame seeds to add a little extra flavor, texture and visual appeal to the salad.
The dressing is super simple too.
- Rice Vinegar. Used commonly in Asian cuisine, rice vinegar adds a unique flavor that goes very well with other components of the dressing.
- Soy Sauce. Just of touch of soy sauce is all that's needed to bring in a touch of umami richness.
- Chili Sauce. Offers a sweet, spicy tang to round out the dressing.
- Ginger. Gives the salad a slightly peppery zing (and we all know that ginger has a myriad of health benefits and is a wonderful spice to add to your diet whenever possible).
- Sesame or Peanut Oil- You could probably get away without using any oil at all, but I like the flavor that either oil brings to the dressing.
How To Serve
The salad is great if your in the mood for a light and refreshing lunch on a hot day.
I like to serve it as a side dish or appetizer too. I've also added it on top of sandwiches and tossed leftovers into leafy green salads as well.
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like Sesame Noodle Veggie Bowls.
Asian Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber 1 large (or 2 small) spiralized
- ⅓ cup carrots shredded
- ⅓ cup edamame shelled 1
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ginger fresh or ground
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Make the dressing by whisking together the vinegar, soy, chili sauce, ginger and oil in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add spiralized cucumber in a separate small to medium sized bowl, with the carrots, edamame and sesame seeds.
- Spoon dressing over salad with and toss to combine, then serve.