Crab and Endive Hors d'Oeuvres are great for holiday entertaining because they don't require any cooking and come together in under 10 minutes. Lump crab is tossed with peppers and shallots then spooned inside fresh crisp endive leaves. The sweetness of the crab combined with the slightly bitter flavor of the endive makes these small bites a delicious choice to celebrate the "Feast of the Seven Fishes" or for any festive gathering this holiday season.
Ingredients You'll Need To Make Crab and Endive Hors d'Oeurves
- Lump Crab Meat- you can buy lump crab meat ready to use in the seafood section of your supermarket.
- Endive- has a mild bitter flavor that serves as tasty and lighter replacement for crostini bread.
- Red and Green Peppers- are crunchy, festively colored and add nice texture to the crab filling.
- Shallots- give a sweet but mild onion flavor to the filling.
- Lemon- brings out the flavor of the crab meat nicely.
- Dill- not only adds a bit of festive color and make a pretty garnish, dill also adds an element of freshness to these small bites.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil- good quality olive oil will bring it all together.
- Cocktail Sauce (optional)- you can have a small bowl of cocktail sauce out for dipping, although they taste delicious with just a drizzle of lemon juice.
How To Make Crab and Endive Hors d'Oeurves
This easy recipe involves only a few simple steps before it's ready to serve.
- Prep the endive by carefully peeling away the leaves from the stem then rinse and pat dry. Discard any discolored leaves.
- Finely chop the peppers and shallots.
- Toss the lump crab with the peppers, shallots, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Spoon inside the endive leaves and serve on a small platter.
What Can I serve With Crab and Endive Hors d'Oeurves?
These hors d'oeuvres would work well on a charcuterie board. Here are some suggestions if you wanted to include some other small bites along with them.
- Raw vegetables
- Artichoke or spinach dip
- Shrimp cocktail
- Stuffed clams
More Recipes Like This:
Crab and Endive Hors d'Oeurves
- 8 oz lump crab meat
- 4 small-medium size endive heads carefully peel away the leaves from the stem then rinse and pat dry. Discard the smaller inner leaves that are too small as well as any discolored outer leaves.
- ½ red pepper seeds removed and chopped fine
- ½ green pepper seeds removed and chopped fine
- 1 small shallot chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fresh lemon ¼ juiced, the remaining lemon cut into wedges and use for serving
- 1 tablespoon dill chopped and for extra for garnish
- cocktail sauce optional
- Toss all ingredients together in a medium size bowl.
- Peel endive, gently rinse off the leaves and pat dry with paper towel.
- Spoon the crab filling into the endive leaves then garnish with extra dill and lemon wedges.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 2 hours.