Just in time for the 4th of July, this Patriotic Fruit Bowl is just as delicious as it is festive. All you need are some star shaped cookie cutters and summer's most popular fruit to make this dazzling bowl that's perfect for any summer celebration. The fruit salad is tossed with just a touch of lime juice and some mint leaves to make it extra refreshing and special.
Fruit Bowl Ingredients
Watermelon- You can use a mini or regular sized watermelon for this salad, but I find the mini much easier to work with. The goal is to cut the watermelon into large circles so you have space to press the cookie cutters and make a few watermelon stars with each cut.
Dragon Fruit- Pitaya, otherwise known as dragon fruit, is unique and adds a beautiful white contrast to this fruit bowl, giving it that patriotic feel. There are several types of dragon fruit. The one with the pink skin has the white inner flesh. I cut the fruit in half, then scoop out the flesh with a melon ball scooper.
Berries- Deliciously ripe strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and cherries are summer favorites. And it helps that they match the red and blue theme of this fruit bowl. Festive, fun and a crowd pleaser for sure!
Lime and Mint- Just a small squeeze of lime juice offers a fresh contrast to the sweetness. Mint leaves add a colorful garnish, as well as adding another layer of flavor to the bowl.
How To Serve
I think the best way to serve this bowl is chilled. You can prepare it in advance and refrigerate. Take the fruit bowl out just before serving and garnish with mint leaves.
This summer fruit bowl would make a great appetizer, snack or dessert.
Serve with chilled sparkling wine or a fun summer cocktail or beverage. For some suggestions, see below.
Patriotic Summer Fruit Bowl
- star shaped cookie cutters, various sizes
- sharp knife
- melon ball scooper
- 1 mini watermelon mini, seedless, cut into large circles about 1 inch thick
- 3 cups strawberries sliced and quartered, stems removed
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 cup cherries you can use de-stemmed pitted cherries or leave stems on so your guests know they contain pits.
- 1 lime
- mint leaves
- 1 dragon fruit cut in half
- Using the star cookie cutters, cut out the watermelon stars and set aside on a plate.
- Scoop out the dragon fruit with a melon ball scooper and place into a medium to large sized bowl.
- Add the remaining fruit squeeze in a few drops of lime juice, then toss gently to combine.
- Carefully place the watermelon stars into the fruit bowl.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Right before serving, top with some mint leaves.