If you're short on time and looking for a quick, easy and comforting vegan dinner to put on the table that everyone will enjoy, then look no further than these delicious potato perogies with apples and leeks!
This healthy meal is a go-to in my house when we're low on energy and craving something other than pasta.
I love that potato perogies are so versatile that you can serve them with both savory and sweet foods. The sweetness of the apples brings the potatoes to life, while the leeks give the dish an oniony, garlicky flavor that balances it all out. I like to top the dish off with some crunchy toasted walnuts for a boost of healthy fats.
I use these vegan perogies from Whole Foods. In general, perogies don't take long to cook which is why this is meal is so quick and easy. They can either be boiled in water similar to pasta or you can save a bit of time and sauté them in a non-stick pan, like I did in this recipe. I personally prefer how the perogies caramelize when they are sautéed with a touch of butter.
There are many other delicious and healthy alternatives to serve your perogies with including:
- Roasted Brussels sprouts
- Roasted Tomatoes
- Fresh Herbs
If you like this quick and easy dish you may also like: Broccoli and Soba Noodles with Roasted Cashews.
Perogies with Apples and Leeks
- 18 vegan potato perogies 1 ½ package
- 2 leeks (white parts only) sliced inch in thick
- 1 apple sliced
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon vegan sour cream
- handful fresh chives optional
- ¼ cup walnuts (chopped) optional
- pinch coarse salt
- pinch pepper
- In a large saute pan, heat half the butter on medium high heat.
- Saute leeks for about 2-3 minutes, then add in the apples and satue for another 3-5 minutes until slightly soft but not falling apart.
- Transfer leek and apple mixture to a medium bowl.
- In the same pan, add in the remain butter and saute pergies until golden and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side, adding a bit more butter if needed to prevent sticking.
- Turn off the heat and add the apple leek mixure back into the pan with the perogies.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Top with vegan sour cream, chopped walnuts and chives if desired.