Imagine the smell of warm pumpkin spices and chocolate infusing your kitchen (I’ll just wait here). It’s amazing right?! To me, those smells are a signal that autumn is in full gear. This week I’ve got a delicious pumpkin chocolate chunk cookie recipe the entire family will enjoy! They’re not only good, but good for you too!
These pumpkin chocolate chunk cookies are gluten and dairy free and are made with rolled oats, pumpkin puree, almond flour, ground flax seed, dark chocolate chunks and my secret ingredient… muscovado sugar. Muscovado sugar is a natural, less refined sugar that is made without removing molasses (that thick brown syrup that is extracted during the refining of sugar cane). The flavor is deep and rich, similar to that of caramel and toffee. Due to this richness, I got away with not having to add much sugar into this recipe, which is always a plus. From a nutritional standpoint, molasses contains antioxidants, iron and other minerals, so it can be a better choice where sugar is concerned (*note, it’s still sugar though, so use in moderation). If you can’t find muscovado, regular dark brown sugar will do just fine.
The moisture from the pumpkin puree keeps these cookies soft for days. They have a soft, airy, oat texture and a slightly nutty flavor from the almond flour. The dark chocolate also adds a bit of sweetness that really compliments the molasses flavor. And because they’re made with such wholesome ingredients you can even have them for breakfast. The flavors in these pumpkin chocolate chunk cookies go perfectly with a hot cup of coffee or tea or on the flip side, a cold glass of nut or oat milk!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1½ cup rolled oats use gluten free oats if making gluten free cookies
- ½ cup super fine almond flour (recommend Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup muscovado sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks use vegan chocolate chips if keeping cookie vegan
- *option to add in: shredded coconut or coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Add the dry ingredients (oats, flour, flax seed, spice, baking soda and salt) to a medium size bowl. Stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients-pumpkin puree, butter and sugar and whisk until smooth and all ingredients are combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until all ingredients have been incorporated together.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- With an ice cream scooper, scoop the batter onto a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes until cookies are golden brown.
- Let cool before removing from tray and store in an airtight container.