These sweet potatoes fries are just the right amount of spicy goodness to get your week started off with a bang!
They’re actually roasted and not fried. But they still contain all the flavor and excitement of fries, without any of ingredients that will weigh you down like heavy oils and excess sodium not to mention artificial flavors, colors or preservatives that many bagged or take-out fries can contain.
And the garlicky, lime avocado aioli is the perfect creamy, yet tangy compliment to go along with the sweetness of the potatoes. It’s loaded with healthy fats from the avocado and gets an antioxidant boost from the lime juice which also keeps it from turning brown too quickly.
I like to cut the fries into wedges because they make a really fun presentation. I recommend cutting them roughly half an inch in thickness, just enough so they don’t take too long to roast, but also not too thin that they flop after they’ve been baked. Also, make sure you’ve patted your potatoes dry so there is no excess moisture remaining. This can effect the crispness of the overall potato once it’s baked. Once they’re on the baking sheet, toss them with the olive oil and spices. You can sprinkle as little or as much chili powder spice as you like. There is always the option to add more at the end if you want to kick it up a little more.
Making the aioli is simple and is a great way to use up any ripening avocado that might be teetering on the edge of going bad. To make it a little more creamy I add a few teaspoons of vegan mayonnaise. It gets blended together in a food processor with the garlic and lime juice salt and pepper. In seconds, you have a perfectly delicious plant-based aioli ready to go!
Enjoy these fries with your favorite (vegan) burger or hot dog, or warm up any left overs and add them to a green salad the next day! They make a great snack too!
Chili Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with Garlicky Avocado Aioli
- 3-4 sweet potatoes cut into wedges about ½ inch think (enough wedges to cover baking sheet but do not over crowd)
- 1-2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 ripe avocados (pitted and skin removed)
- 2 teaspoon vegan mayo (or regular if not vegan)
- 3 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1-2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- sea salt
- handful of fresh parsley + more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
- Sprinkle on the chili powder, paprika, garlic salt and a pinch or two of sea salt.
- Toss to combine.
- Roast potatoes for 25-30 minutes carefully turning potatoes over halfway through, using a spatula and or tongs to help, and roast until golden brown and slightly crispy.
- In meantime, in a food processor, add the avocado, mayo, parsley, garlic, lime juice and pinch of sea salt.
- Pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Season to taste with additional lime juice and salt if necessary.
- Garnish fries with chopped fresh parsley if desired.
- Serve aioli along with warm fries.