These Mexican Stuffed Baked Potatoes are a dinner time game changer! Crispy oven roasted potatoes are fluffy on the inside and loaded with healthy goodies including black beans, corn, jalapeños and broccoli, then doused with a creamy and luxurious vegan queso. I top them with some crushed tortilla chips for an explosion of texture and flavor you'll go crazy for! And the best part, they're easy enough to make any day of the week.
How To Bake Potatoes
Russet potatoes are the best for roasting because of their low moisture and high starch content. Here's my method to getting that crispy skin and perfectly cooked center:
- I start by drizzling a little bit of olive oil over a washed and clean potato.
- Then I sprinkle on a little coarse salt over top and rub the oil and salt together into the potatoes with my hands.
- The potatoes are placed on a regular baking sheet and bake in the oven at 450° F for about 45-60 minutes depending on the size and thickness of the potato. The best way to tell if your potato is done is to stick a sharp knife into the center. If it goes in easily without resistance your potato is done.
Ingredients You'll Need
This recipe is extremely versatile. Meaning, you can stuff your potatoes with your favorite Mexican inspired flavors. Here's what I used:
- Black Beans- Great for adding protein and sustenance while being low in calories and full of fiber.
- Corn- Adds a sweet element and crunch. This time of year I use frozen corn.
- Broccoli- I just love the way broccoli makes this stuffed potato feel like a meal...and who doesn't love broccoli stuffed in a potato and doused with melted cheese??
- Jalapeño peppers- for a little kick (optional).
- Queso- The star ingredient in my opinion. I can't say enough amazing things about this Kite Hill Queso. It's vegan and you'd never know it. I was really shocked at the texture and flavor. I'm addicted.
- Crushed tortilla chips- I like to add some crushed chips for added crunch and flavor.
How To Make Mexican Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- Start by prepping your potato and bake for about 45-60 minutes until fork tender.
- While the potato is baking get your veggies ready. Rinse and drain the beans and defrost the corn then set aside in a bowl.
- Cook the broccoli florets. I microwave the broccoli in a large bowl with just a tablespoon of water and salt, covered , for 3-4 minutes.
- Slice up some jalapeño peppers if you like a little kick.
- Once the potato is done, stuff the potatoes and drizzle on the warm, melted queso!
If you liked this recipe you might also like these Salad Stuffed Purple Sweet Potatoes.
Mexican Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- 4 Russet pototoes washed, skin on
- 4 cups broccoli florets steamed or microwaved
- 2 cups frozen corn defrosted
- 15 oz canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeds removed and sliced
- favorite vegan queso warm and melted (recommend Kite Hill)
- coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Wash potatoes then pat dry and place on a baking sheet. Pierce the potato in a few spots with a fork or knife to allow some heat to escape.
- Rub the potato with coarse salt and olive oil.
- Bake the potato for about 45 minutes to one hour depending on size. Pierce the potato with a fork or knife. When there is no resistance the potato is done.
- While potatoes are cooking prep the veggies. Rinse and drain the black beans and set aside. Set the corn aside in a small bowl. Slice the peppers.
- Place the broccoli in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and add the water. Microwave for 3-4 minutes until tender. Drain the water then set aside.
- Once the potatoes are done, stuff with black beans, corn, broccoli and peppers.
- Drizzle warm queso over potatoes and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply