The holidays are almost here. I really can't believe it! And because everyone is busy making plans and gathering recipes already, I wanted to share with you this quick, tasty and festive dish that you and your guests will love! Not only do these Roasted Beets with Pisatchios and Chives have a sweet caramelized flavor you will totally be hooked on, their vibrant color and rustic texture will have you serving up this recipe all winter long.
Beets are rustic and earthy, not to mention gorgeous. The roasting process transforms them and they develop a warm, sweet carmelized flavor that makes them almost addictive. The simple addition of pistachios and chives provides a nutty, garlicky flavor and of course, crunch. Best of all, they require only 4 simple ingredients and absolutely no fuss. They can be roasted the day before to save you time and oven space, and then reheated.
Tips for Preparation:
- Wash beets thoroughly as you would a potato. Cut off the greens and stems but keep the skins on! They are edible and make for a rustic and appetizing presentation. I roast the beets whole and slice them open afterwards.
- If roasting the day before, do not add the nuts or chives until you are ready to serve. Simply roast, cool, then refrigerate.
- Try to pick beets that are roughly the same size so they cook at about the same time.
- I use a Dutch oven to cook my beets because they tend to get crispy on the outside with this method. But, wrapping them in aluminum foil and placing them on a baking sheet would also work (and save you some clean-up time).
Simple Roasted Beets with Pistachios and Chives
- 2 bunches beets I like to mix gold with red about 6-8 altogether
- ⅓ cup pistachios crushed
- 1 bunch chives roughly chopped
- *sour cream optional
- extra virgin olive oil
- course salt
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- After preparing beets (see tips for preparation), lightly salt and oil the skin of the beets and place in a Dutch oven or roasting pan with a lid. (alternatively, you can wrap in aluminum foil as stated above in "tips."
- Roast beets for about an 1 hour to 1hour and 15 min. until fork tender (times may vary depending on size of beets).
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Slice the beets in half.
- Add pistachios and chives.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil over top, sour cream* and salt/pepper to taste.
Kelly @ Inspired Edibles says
Utterly gorgeous Donna - you make me fall in love with beets all over again.
Donna Castellano says
I'm so glad! 🙂