If you love smoothies, but also love to keep up with the seasons best flavors, then this week's Spiced Pear & Pistachio Smoothie will hit the spot. It's refreshing yet has the smell and taste of autumn in one little glass. It's super easy to make, healthy and a great way to use pears in a unique and interesting way.
What You Need To Make Spiced Pear & Pistachio Smoothie
There are a few key ingredients you'll need to make this delicious, healthy treat.
- Pistachio Milk- I used Three Trees brand pistachio milk for this recipe. If you've never tried pistachio milk before I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good it is. It's creamy and adds just the right amount of pistachio flavor.
- Pears- I love sweet and juicy Bartlett pears for this recipe.
- Banana- Adds a sweet and creamy texture to the smoothie.
- Spinach- Just a handful is all you need for a healthy dose of greens. Spinach also gives the smoothie a pretty green color.
- Cinnamon and/or Nutmeg- just a pinch of these warming fall spices brings it all together for the perfect autumn pick me up.
- Pistachios- you can add a few crushed pistachios on top for added texture and flavor but this is optional.
Health Benefits of Pistachios
Pistachios are sometimes overlooked when it comes to nuts. But, although less commonly consumed, pistachios do offer some really amazing health benefits.
Aside from containing a variety of essential antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber, some studies suggest consuming pistachios can have favorable effects on blood lipid levels, glucose metabolism and insulin resistance.
Because nuts are considered a high calorie food, it's not only important to keep an eye on portion size but also in what form they're being consumed. In other words, don't choose pistachio ice cream over eating raw from the shell. This Spiced Pear & Pistachio Smoothie is definitely one of the healthier ways to enjoy them!
Spiced Pear & Pistachio Smoothie
- ⅓ cup pistachio milk
- 1 pear ripened (recommend Bartlett)
- 1 banana
- ½ cup spinach
- handful of ice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- crushed shelled pistachios as garnish
- Add all ingredients to a high powered blender.
- Pour into glass and top with additional spices and some crushed pistachios if desired.