Sorry for the lack of posting lately, but I've been doing some house renovating that has left me a bit out of my normal routine and sadly, away from the kitchen.
By Friday most of the "messy" work was complete (dust and debris cleared away), so I was able sneak back in this weekend and create this magnificent cauliflower and sweet potato curry dish that I think you guys will absolutely fall in love with!
This recipe was inspired from two of my favorite curry dishes... Pinch of Yum's Sweet Potato Curry and Cookie and Kate's Thai Vegetable Curry. I used to be intimidated and unfamiliar with the whole idea of curry (which is generally referred to as a sauce made with herbs and spices such as coriander, turmeric, ginger, lemongrass and dried chillies... basically heaven on earth). Once I experimented with those recipes, I became addicted for life.
Turns out all you really need is your favorite vegetables (lentils and chickpeas work well too), some great tasting *curry paste (unless you'd like to venture on to make your own) and some silky coconut milk to make a killer tasting curry sauce! Easy peasy!
I think it's really great to have recipes like this under your belt because they are warm and comforting, healthy and can be adapted to just about anything you have laying around in your refrigerator. I happened to have some gorgeous cauliflower that was calling my name.
Prepping all the vegetables takes a bit of time, but I usually crank up some Coldplay on Pandora and I forget what I'm doing...haha! Once you've got the veggies ready, the recipe takes off and comes together pretty quickly. You can't even imagine how amazing your kitchen will smell from the aroma of the shallots, curry paste, garlic and ginger! Like I said...heaven on earth! The mixture will thicken slightly with the addition of coconut milk as it simmers to pure perfection. The coconut milk cuts into the spiciness of the curry paste and mellows it all out. I add some spinach greens in at the last minute as they add some additional color, flavor and of course nutritional value.
Serve it as is, with some warm naan bread or your favorite rice or grain.
Vegan Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 large head cauliflower or 2 small cut into florets
- 1 large sweet potato cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp red curry paste* see above
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 shallots chopped
- 1-2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 15 oz. can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes in their juice
- 1-2 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups packed spinach
- extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt
- chopped peanuts or cashews for garnish
- fresh basil or cilantro for garnish
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large soup pot or sauce pan.
- Add shallots and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant.
- Add in curry paste and turmeric and saute another minute or two.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and saute about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in cauliflower, coconut milk, tomatoes, broth (just enough to cover vegetables) a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until sauce has thickened and vegetables are tender.
- Turn off heat and immediately stir in the spinach and allow to wilt.
- Stir in the soy sauce.
- Top with chopped peanuts or cashews and some fresh basil.
- Serve over rice or with warmed naan bread.