There is no doubt that grilling helps make dinnertime a bit easier. I can usually cook an entire meal on the grill avoiding messy cleanups in the kitchen. These foil packed grilled potatoes are one of my family's favorite side dishes. Foil packs are a quick and simple way to get great tasting potatoes without any fuss. I just place baby Yukon Gold potatoes into a foil packet along with my favorite herbs and seasonings, some garlic cloves and olive oil and pop them on the grill. In about 15 minutes your potatoes will turn out slightly crisp and charred on the outside, but soft and creamy on the inside. Sound good? Then let's get to it!
What You Need To Make Foil Packet Grilled Potatoes
- Aluminum Foil- You can use either regular aluminum foil or heavy duty aluminum foil to create your foil packet. If you're using regular aluminum foil, you'll need to use two or three sheets because regular aluminum foil is just not heavy enough. You can create the packet by simply folding the edges of the aluminum foil, making the sheets large enough so you can completely fold and cover the potatoes with a good seal, before placing them on the grill.
- Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes- I love using baby Yukon Gold potatoes because of their slightly sweet, buttery flavor. And they cook quickly too.
- Garlic and Herbs- Fresh rosemary, parsley and thyme are all great choices to season your potatoes. You could also use fresh chives. If you don't have any fresh herbs on hand, you could also use dried herbs. I love to throw in a few cloves of garlic, which gives the potatoes a nice garlicky essence. Once the garlic is cooked, you could use it to make a delicious garlic aïoli, or just simply smash up the garlic cloves and toss into the potatoes.
- Extra-virgin olive oil- Helps to prevent the potatoes from sticking to each other and the foil, but also imparts delicious flavor into the potatoes.
- Coarse salt and pepper-potatoes need to be seasoned well with salt and pepper for best flavor. If you can't use salt for health reasons, make sure to use lots of herbs and other seasonings to elevate the flavors of the potatoes.
How To Make Foil Packet Grilled Potatoes
- Start by tearing the aluminum foil large enough to completely enclose the potatoes.
- Place potatoes inside the foil and add your seasonings, oil and herbs.
- Fold the packet and place on the grill on direct medium-high heat.
- Cook for about 15 minutes (plus or minus a few minutes) depending on the size of the potatoes. To check for doneness, remove the foil packet with a large grilling spatula from the grill, and place onto a large cutting board. Carefully open the packet, taking note that there will be a lot of hot steam. Stick a knife or fork into one of the potatoes. It should glide and easily, and the potatoes should be slightly chard on the outer edges.
Serving Tips and Suggestions
- These foil pack potatoes are a great vegan or vegetarian side dish. They're also naturally gluten and diary free. The potatoes are amazing straight off the grill and just the way they are. But they're even better dipped in a little bit of garlic aïoli (either homemade or store-bought). They're also really delicious with a little touch of lemon zest. The flavors in the potatoes pair really well with salads, just about any meat or fish, and even alongside a delicious frittata (my personal favorite). Let me know if you try them in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like this Scrambled Egg, Tomato and Potato Skillet.
Foil Packet Grilled Potatoes
- 1.25 lbs Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- any combo of fresh parsely, thyme leaves, chives, rosemary chopped
- coarse salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 garlic cloves peeled and left whole
- Preheat grill.
- Place the potatoes onto two to three sheets of regular aluminum foil or one sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil to create a packet.
- Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, olive oil, herbs and garlic cloves.
- Fold up the packet to completely seal the potatoes.
- Put potatoes on direct medium-high heat for about 15 minutes (plus or minus a few minutes depending on the size of your potatoes). See notes above on how to check for doneness.
- Remove the foil packet with a large grilling spatula and place onto a cutting board. Very carefully open the potato packet (hot steam will emerge from the packet). Add additional seasonings as needed. Serve as is or with your favorite aïoli sauce.