Call it pizza or call it salad. Either way, it's light, refreshing and delicious. Watermelon & Arugula Salad Pizza is great for anyone trying to cut back their calorie intake while still enjoying the best summer flavors. Made with crisp sweet watermelon and topped with arugula, fresh heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, crushed walnuts and balsamic glaze, this may be the easiest meal you make all summer!
How To Make Watermelon & Arugula Salad Pizza
I love to use mini watermelons. They are so much easier to work with than regular (oversized) watermelons. On the plate they're reminiscent of personal sized pizza and look so fun and festive when served.
Slicing the Watermelon
To slice the watermelon, place it on a stable cutting board. Slice down into the widest part of the melon about an inch think, creating a singular round slice. Keep the knife as straight as possible as you cut through it. This can be a little tricky, so cut slowly to ensure an even slice.
I prefer to use chilled watermelon, so you can either and refrigerate it or (if you have space), just place the entire watermelon in your fridge until ready to use.
Ingredients You'll Need
I love how the bitterness of arugula cuts into the sweetness of the watermelon for the perfect balance of flavors. The salad is tossed along with ripe heirloom cherry or grape tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese and a drizzle of olive oil and a touch of salt and pepper.
Balsamic glaze is the star ingredient that makes this recipe special. Balsamic glaze is sweeter and thicker than regular balsamic vinegar, therefore the flavor is much more intense. Most supermarkets sell it in the salad dressing aisle. But if you don't have balsamic glaze or can't find it at the store, you can easily make your own following this recipe here.
Recipe Substitutions and Add-Ons
Instead of arugula, you can substitute watercress, spinach or any of your favorite mixed greens for this recipe.
I love any opportunity to include nuts and omega-3 fatty acids in my diet. Instead of walnuts you could also use sliced almonds and even pumpkin or sunflower seeds for a boost of healthy fats.
Make the recipe vegan by using vegan feta cheese.
Watermelon & Arugula Salad Pizza
- 1 slice watermelon preferably from chilled watermelon *see notes above on slicing
- 1 cup arugula
- ¼ cup grape tomatoes recommend heirloom tomatoes if you can find them
- ¼ cup cucumbers sliced thin and small
- 1 tablespoon walnuts crushed
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic glaze
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- In the widest part of the melon, slice across to form one large round piece.
- Place the melon on a plate.
- In a separate bowl, toss the arugula, tomatoes and cucumber with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Top the melon with the arugula salad.
- Sprinkle on the feta and drizzle on the balsamic glaze.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
Leave a Reply