This Easy Turkish Eggs recipe is my version of the popular Turkish dish "Çilbir." It's a savory healthy breakfast recipe that's high in protein from Greek yogurt and lightly fried eggs. The dish is drizzled with chili oil, then sprinkled with a delicious black garlic finishing salt. It all gets scooped up with a thick slice of toasted whole grain bread. It may sound fancy but it's super simple and ready in just 10 minutes!
What are Turkish Eggs?
Traditionally, Çilbir is made with poached eggs served over garlicky yogurt that's bathed in a red pepper sauce (Aleppo pepper oil or butter).
However, poaching an egg, chopping up garlic and making a red pepper sauce can seem a little daunting in the morning. So, I started making this easier version of the classic dish and I think it's just as good.
Ingredients for Easy Turkish Eggs
- Plain Greek Yogurt- It may sound a bit strange but the creaminess of the yogurt goes so well with a runny egg.
- Eggs- To make the recipe a bit easier cook up a simple sunny side up fried egg but you could also do poached eggs if you like. A nice runny egg yolk makes the dish extra special.
- Chili Oil- I use a jarred store-bought chili oil to make it easy.
- Black Garlic Finishing Salt or Garlic Salt- I am absolutely addicted to Simply Organics Black Garlic Finishing Salt. It adds such an amazing pop of flavor and I've been using it on literally everthing! You can find it in the supermarket in the spice aisle.
- Rustic Whole Grain Bread- I love dipping a thick slice of bread into the runny egg and scooping up some of the yogurt and chili oil. It's heaven!
- Greens- I like a little color on my plate and I usually have baby spinach or some microgreens in my fridge. I recommend any of the microgreen varieties from Aerofarms.
How To Make Easy Turkish Eggs
- Cook the egg and toast the bread.
- While the egg is cooking spread a thick layer of yogurt at the bottom of a plate.
- Top the yogurt with the cooked egg then lightly drizzle on the chili oil, garlic salt and some greens.
Easy Turkish Eggs Nutrition Notes
As a dietitian and a foodie, I love this healthy breakfast. It's flavorful, savory and full of nutritional benefits.
Starting the day with quality protein from the Greek yogurt and eggs is important and can help stabilize blood glucose levels, which can keep you from crashing early on in the day. This breakfast can provide up to 30 gms protein (1 cup yogurt + 2 eggs).
Adding in some greens and using whole grain bread supplies the body with fiber, antioxidants and B vitamins that are crucial for gut health and immune support.
If you're not into chili oil or spice, try plain extra virgin olive oil with a touch of paprika instead.
Not into runny yolks? Try an over easy egg.
Can't find black garlic finishing salt, use regular garlic salt or mix in some fresh minced garlic with a touch of sea salt.
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Easy Turkish Eggs
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt see recipe notes below
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- handful microgreens any variety or use baby spinach or arugula
- ¼ teaspoon black garlic finishing salt see ingredient notes above
- 1 thick slice whole grain or multi-grain bread
- Spray a nonstick fry pan with cooking spray and heat over medium flame.
- Crack the egg into frying pan and cook just until the egg white is cooked through and no longer appears yellow (about 5 min). You want the yolk to be runny.
- While the egg is cooking toast the bread and spread the yogurt onto a dish.
- Once the egg is cooked, slide onto the yogurt. Drizzle with oil.
- Top with some greens and sprinkle on the black garlic salt.
- Scoop with toasted bread and enjoy!